Monday, January 16, 2023

#Dungeon23 DoomGate Introduction

During the weeks leading up to 2023 I spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted to include in my dungeon, how I wanted  to go about building it, what the background was. Initially I was thinking that it would be a basic fantasy megadungeon, that I would roll things up randomly and work with what I got. Back when I wrote my first post about it I said it would be "largely unplanned" 

HA!!

That didn't last long. By the time I started my dry run with The Poisonous Vaults, I was already scheming. 

So here's the elevator pitch for my new megadungeon: DoomGate

The world was at, or just slightly beyond our current tech level when an ancient crashed alien space ship is found buried in a mountain. The military takes control of it, builds a sprawling underground base around it, and begins experimenting. This causes an apocalypse that includes opening a literal rift into hell. Fast forward an indeterminate amount of time. Society has rebuilt to a late medieval stage, magic is now real, but relics of the modern age are still around...

Couple hundred years ago a wizard finds The Core, the underground nuclear power plant (built to power the military instillation) and takes it over, using it to fuel his mutagenic experiments. Things obviously get out of his control. His victims lock him up. The settlement on the surface locks them all in. 

Very recently the well/water source the settlement above The Core uses stopped working, because they stopped wishing into it. The spirit (elemental? fae?) diverted the water, which breached the power plant. It also caused the reactor water supply to drop, as the pipe which supplied The Core got blocked. This upset the reactor AI, which upsets the roach kin.The mutated descendants of the wizard's experiments are always upset. 

After exploring The Core, my Dungeon23 will expand to include The Silos, Aux Control, HQ, The Ship, The Caves, and finally Hell on Earth (names subject to change). The upper areas will all be connected by miles long underground rails. Some working, some not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.