Thursday, June 30, 2016

Stonehell: (un)Quiet Halls

Session 13 was played on 6/10

Wilhelm, drunk Dwarf 2 (Julia)
-Hammond, war dog
Tobias, Cat, Cleric 1 of Persephone (Mollie)
Shelly, a vegetarian recovering alcoholic halfling Thief 3 (Nadia)

Stayed in town
Tink, a pretentious Elf (but I repeat myself) and former barkeep (Hanna)
Frank, halfling 1 (Emily)

Narf, Wilhelm, Shelly, and Tobias make their way from town toward the dungeon, skip around the gatehouse, and head directly down into the dungeon, and make for Rocky. Once in the room, and the pleasantries were taken care of, they got down to the day’s 3 questions.
“What is the best question?” Shelly asked.
Rocky replied “Where will we find the best closest treasure?”
The rest of the party groaned. Shelly asked “Where will we find the best closest treasure?”
“Down in the Kobold Corners”
Shelly asked absently “Don’t we have a thing in the Kobold Corners?”
Rocky answered “I don’t know.”
“Wait! That wasn’t a question!!” Shelly yelled… but it was.

Pressing on, they reach the double doors adorned with the danse macabre. Everyone shoves hard against one, trying to open it. Struggling together the door shifts, and with a metallic groan, falls open, dropping everyone to the ground in a heap. The pillared hall is silent, and the bodies of the beetles had been mostly cleaned away. Picking a hall, they find a section of the wall pushed out, revealing a small closet like space that is otherwise empty.

The first room explored had bunk beds lining the walls, each with a faded nametag and equipped with multiple restraint points. Moving on they came to a room with old plaster death masks lining the walls. Shelly found a trap door which opened into a small chamber with a single torch sconce on the far wall, and nothing else.

With nothing left to explore in this direction they headed back to the pillared chamber, and picked a different direction. This hall was lined with doors on either side. Each door was metal with an open window screened by a thick lattice, with no locking mechanism. As they reach the first door, it was pushed open from the inside, and zombies stumbled out!

Battle was joined in the confined hallway, and several corpses were returned to their eternal rest before Tobias, still a cat, turned the remaining zombies. They returned to their crypt, and huddled in the corner. While Tobias held the zombies back, Shelly and Narf made a quick sweep of the chamber, but didn’t find anything of value. They closed the door, and prayed the zombies would leave them alone.

The crypt opposite was quieter, but still not as silent as the grave. 2 skeletons sat up as the door was opened and were quickly put down, but this chamber was as devoid of valuables as the first.

Crypt 3 and 4 each had a ghoul that sprang through the doors, paralyzing Narf. Tobias and Shelly working together brought one then the other down as they were slightly distracted by the smell of blood oozing from Narf’s wounds. Unfortunately, their death didn’t release Narf, and he was repositioned off to the side. Checking the crypts, they found a stash of coins and a magical flaming dagger! Wilhelm claimed the dagger for himself. Returning to the hall (and Narf) a loud rattling could be heard further down in the darkness. Deciding they’d had enough for one day, they took their loot and the paralyzed Narf out of the dungeon.

Narf’s paralysis wore off just as they were arriving back to town.

Gains: 100gp, magical dagger,
Kills: 4 zombies, 2 ghouls, 2 skeletons
Losses: None

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Frostgrave: Dragon Strike!

For today's game, we decided to modify the Worm scenario we played last time, and used Wyrms this time! 5 dragons would appear, flying across the board, and if their flight path crossed over a mini, it would drop down and fight that mini to the death before flying off. We also replaced 1 treasure token per player with a dead body token. When searched there was a 50% chance of getting a treasure, 25% chance of waking a zombie, and 25% chance of finding nothing except a frozen former adventurer.

Once again, all 7 members of the campaign showed for game!

My forces set up in the bottom right hand corner of the table in this picture.

Here they are a little closer.

Across from me was Rob's wizard and his band.

And next to me Chris' force.

In the opening moves, my wizards fails to cast telekinesis on a treasure, while my apprentice leaps the thief onto the top of the ruins next to a body. Everyone else rushes for the ruins or the body next to the broken fountain.

My band immediately rushed forward toward a pair of bodies. The first was at the top of a flight of stairs in a ruin. Here my man at arms looks down at their friendly zombie, up the stairs toward the thief and the body, and across to Rob's band.

Rob's wizard gets Bone Darted by my wizard. In retaliation he tosses my thief 14" up into the air off the ruin. The thief promptly drops to the snow knocked out at least. My apprentice finishes off Rob's wizard with another Bone Dart.

My crossbowmen take out a thug running toward one of the bodies my guys were rushing toward.

Both bodies are found to have treasure.

While my treasure hunter finds another treasure at the far side of the ruins.

But then dragons start showing up...

This red one drops next to Chris' archer near my guys.

The blue drops behind the thug and thief who were about to jump my treasure hunter.

The clockwork dragon attacks The Doctor. Eventually the Doctor's companions came to the rescue and the dragon was killed.

The green dragon attacked a random bear that was just wandering past.

This other blue dropped into an open tower to munch on the guy cowering with a treasure. One of Don's guys, I think... It ate him, then flew off.

My wizard Leaps the treasure hunter away from the dragon, with the treasure, and she books it for the edge of the board.

Combined firepower takes out the red dragon. Sadly, not by me, so I missed out on that 100xp

My zombie charges in against Don's thug while the dragon chews on the thief.

Chris' man at arms using the cover of a ruin to try to stop my crossbowmen, wizard, and apprentice from getting my man at arms with treasure off the board...

He charged in, just as 2 skeletons wander by. My marksman clocks the warrior upside the head, causing him to stumble back before the crossbowman puts a bolt into his face. My wizard and apprentice each take out a skeleton with Bone Darts.

The 2 treasures reach the edge of the board. As they left, both my wizard and apprentice, backed up by the crossbows, went hunting, killing Rob's knight and archer, and making his thug run off the board without the treasure they'd been bringing back. Unfortunately there was no time to collect it, as the thug was the last of his figures on the board (alive), and that ended the game.

Final tally was 12 successfully cast spells (mostly Bone Dart with a couple of Leaps), 3 treasures (190gc, scrolls of Bone Dart, Leap, and Draining Word, and a Grimoire of Planer Tear, and Gloves of Strength). Once again Princess the now skeletal dog was killed, and the thief was badly wounded and will likely be out of a job next game.

Not shown was the EPIC battle between the dragon and the bear that lasted at least 3 turns. Eventually the dragon won, but it was a hard fought victory, and ended up resulting in the dragon's death at the hands of one of the other warbands.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Painting Nathavarr The White (part 2)

I got a bunch of work done on the head. The plan for the head matches the rest of the body... but the eye, I wanted something special. I did a search for amazing eyes or something like that...

This picture ended up being my inspiration.

I used Grass Green as the base color, with Sun Yellow, Peacock Green to do the speckling.

Very pleased with the progress. Now I need to actually get to work on the body... and the wings...

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Sunday Inspirational Image: Moonlight

No chance of anything bad or evil living there... I'm sure it's perfectly safe. Let's see if we can't use their phone...

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Balticon 50 Wrap Up

Balticon 50 has come and gone, but it is with me still... and probably for another day or two. It has gifted me with a lingering bit of con crud. Not a shock, given the hours I spent working registration, which I'm thrilled to say went smoothly.

But enough with the chat, let's get on with the pics!

 Don't Blink!

If you've made it this far, congrats! Cool costumes, hua? I also attended a bunch of panels, very few of which got pictures.
The ever wonderful dino update
 Foam armor
 writing violence!
How to make Balticon better. The last panel of the year.

This year saw Balticon in a new location, which had an assortment of issues, many of which stemmed from the fact that we'd never been there before. All in all, I expect next year will be better, if a little smaller. It's unlikely that it'll match the size of 50 with George R.R. Martin... but who knows!