Tuesday, May 25, 2021

The Author is Dead (to me)

I have a number of book that I like on my shelves, both physical and digital, from authors who it turns out hold abhorrent beliefs or are just scumbags in real life. I hate that. Books that I enjoy reading, game books I liked using...

While it's pretty true, maybe universally true that everything you like is problematic to one extent or another, I want to spend my limited time enjoying things that are less problematic. I want to be able to recommend things that won't support people who's views I not only don't support, but actively oppose. 

Obviously that's easy when I know, but sometimes I don't, not until later.

And so, having supported someone that I won't going forward, I still have these books. 

I don't want to just trash them. I have a visceral revulsion to throwing away books. 

I could sell them, at least the physical ones. I could make a bit of cash for them, but I don't know that it's worth the effort. 

I can just continue to enjoy and use them, while making sure to note that the authors are crap if I have to reference them. 

I'm not sure what the answer is, or even if there is any particular answer that is right.

2 comments:

  1. I'm of the "continue to use/enjoy the work for what it is, but acknowledge that the author is crap" way of seeing things, if it's something I already own. I try not to spend money on new stuff from that author, unless it's something I really want and it's on the secondary market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm with you there. And I'm not even sure I'd get anything on the secondary market from these guys.

      Delete

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.