Saturday, September 26, 2026

Death of a player

Countless articles, blog posts, tweets, etc., have been written about what to do when a character in your game dies.

Far fewer have been written about what to do when a player dies, and now I need to figure out what to do.

Rob, my friend, the man who ran Morgana and Sonra, and who was my co-DM running the Rappan side of things, passed away this week. It wasn't a surprise, he'd been battling cancer for all the years I've known him. But it still hits like a ton of bricks. You always think there's going to be more time, another game session, another chance to hang out, to laugh, to enjoy the company of your friend. But time ran out, and there won't be any more chances. 

I'm not prepared for this. And there's nothing I can do. It's happened, and now I have to keep going. I have to go to work, and take care of the dog, and get the oil changed on the car, and... 

And I've lost my friend. So have my fellow players. It sucks so much, in so many ways. 

I'm going to miss Rob. I mourn his passing. I mourn the games we won't play, the campaign that we haven't finished, and the times we won't get to share. I grieve that I won't get to see what he had in store for us. That I won't get to hear his delight and his laugh as he tricks us, or as he overcomes one of my tricks. We won't get to play Stargrave together again, or Space Gitz, or anything else we'd planned on, talked about, looked forward to. 

I miss my friend. 

Left to right, Me, Lanse, Cindy, Rob, and Josh 

There is always less time than you think, fewer chances to grab a moment of happiness. Seize them when you can. Roll your dice, share your stories, and have fun, because you never know when it'll be the last time you do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.