Friday, March 7, 2014

New Spell: Ennui

I haven’t much been in a blogging mood lately. Or painting. Or reading. Not sure why exactly, just feeling rather drained, uncreative, and disinterested in much beyond watching silly movies and TV. I’ve seen the Lego Movie (it was AWESOME!), Captain America, Avengers, Iron Man 3, House of Cards season 2, Brooklyn 99, and The Daily Show.

Ok, so maybe House of Cards isn’t all that silly, as compared to the rest. And it is one of the best political dramas ever to appear on screen. Seriously, if you’ve ever wanted to do a political intrigue based game, this is the place to start.

But getting back to my main point - drained. Not writing, not creating, not mapping…

Why? I’m sure it’s a lot of factors all together, and for the most part, it doesn’t really matter. What matters (to me) is that the less I create, the less I’m creative, the worse I feel. Some of it is guilt. I feel like I need to post, because there are people that read my blog. A few people are actually interested in what I write! But that’s really just a tiny part of it.

Much of it is that I hate what I’m doing now; just typing up some words to post. It’s not clean, well thought out, edited, and while you can certainly claim that’s true of most of my posts I do try to produce quality content. Posts like this generally aren’t.

So why am I writing/posting this? In part because I need to. Because I need to do SOMETHING to get going again. Is this a crappy start? Yup, but it’s a start, and if I keep worrying about getting it “perfect” or “right” it’s going to be a long time till I post again, as the 20+ posts i’ve got sitting in draft format show.



And to pay my Joesky Tax, here’s a spell:

3rd level magic user & cleric spell
Ennui
Range: 30’
Duration: 1 day/caster level/failed save
Effect: Curses one living creature

Victims of the Ennui spell will feel listless, unmotivated, and uninspired. They will suffer a -10% penalty to any XP earned adventuring, and will earn only half the XP normally acquired through carousing. Spell casters will be unable to create any new magical items or research new spells.

The victim of the spell may make a save vs spells to avoid the curse. Elves and halflings suffer a -2 penalty to their save. Those that fail their saving throw may make another at the end of the duration, or continue to suffer the effects of the curse. A Remove Curse spell will allow for an immediate saving throw, while a Dispel Evil will end the curse immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.