Friday, May 24, 2013

Pre-Balticon 47

Tonight is the first night of Balticon, and I’m stoked! While it isn’t a gaming convention, it is a con that focuses on science fiction and fantasy literature. Reading, Writing, and Editing. The topics range from the hard science of dinosaurs and the newest info on exoplanets to which Enterprise is the best (1701-D, FYI) with tons in between. Beyond words, there’s also a strong costume and art component to the con, as well as a short film festival on Sunday night. All of these provide plenty of fodder for gaming inspiration, and blog posts!

As usual there is a lot of programing I’m looking forward to. This year Rich Sternbach, who did a lot of the art design work for Star Trek (TMP, TNG, DS9, VOY, and Nemesis), is the artist Guest of Honor, which is majorly cool. Dr. Holtz’s Dinosaur Update is always worth sitting in on, and is usually standing room only. I’m also looking forward to catching up with T.C. McCarthy, last year’s Compton Crook award winner about his Subterrene War series.

There is also an opening on Saturday early afternoon that I’m thinking about spending in the game room. I usually only get to catch a quick game or two during the con, so this’ll be something of a luxury. If there isn’t anything else going on, I may even run a game in Stonehell.

I’m not really looking for anything in the dealers room this year, as I still have a pile of Birthright stuff that I bought 2 years ago and still haven’t opened, plus I just won copies of the Razor Coast Players Guide (100 pages) and Main Campaign books (over 400 pages) (Thanks Erik Tenkar, Johua De Santo, and Frog God Games). Not to mention a pile of regular books that’ll take me years to get through.

If you follow me on G+ I’ll do my best to post updates throughout the weekend, including pictures if I can get the connection.

If you're going to be there, drop me a comment, and we can meet up!



Also, for those aspiring writers out there, the Baltimore Science Fiction Society (the group that hosts Balticon) is holding an amateur writing contest where you can win up to $250 for a 1,000-5,500 word entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.