Saturday, March 25, 2017

Bones Lich Lord OSL

Since I've been playing the Thaw of the Lich Lord campaign, I figured I might need a Lich Lord! With my last Reaper order, I included Bones Lich 77280, which is just about as close to the official mini as Reaper has. Additionally, over on the Reaper forum I was challenged this month to paint a style or something I've never painted before. So, looking at the cover art for Frostgrave, I got my answer: One Source Lighting (OSL).



As always, I started by washing the mini, and then affixing it to something to hold onto to paint it. In this case, a bottle of craft paint.


I base coated it in Grey Liner, and then, since I didn't really know how else to move forward with the lighting scheme, tried to dry brush linen white where the glow from the hand would shine.





After the grey liner, I used R.A.M. Black over the robes, and Dirty Bone on the skeleton, and dark Red on the tabard and sash.

I brought up the green with Catseye Green, and Clear Green, with Clear Yellow and Linen White to really bring up the brightness.







The metals used were Scorched Metal, Dragon Bronze, and Dragon Gold. The staff was Ebony Black dirty Dirty Bone bring up the highlights.







I used Pure Black to make the shadows sharp, and the Clear Green and Clear Yellow on the metal.






And honestly I'm not really sure where to go from here. The guys on the forum want me to build up a nice scenic base, but that's going to move to the back burner for now.

I'm reasonably happy with the OSL effect, and given that I did the majority of the painting over just a couple of hours, I'm actually okay with it as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.