Friday, June 5, 2015

Media Thoughts

There’s been a bunch of trailers, shows, and movies lately that have taken up some of my mental real estate, so in order to clear some of it out, here are my thoughts on some of them.

Supergirl 6 minute trailer
I liked it. I’m probably not going to watch it anytime soon. That’s ok, I’m not really the target audience anyway, but also it’s going to be ages before it hits netflix, so… I think it has the possibility of acting like a gateway into geekdom, especially for a younger and female audience. I hope they’ll tell some good stories with it. And yes, it does hit a lot of the same notes as the Black Widow SNL skit… but Supergirl isn’t Black Widow! I want Supergirl to be bubbly. That works for her. So I’m going to keep my fingers crossed.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
I’m half way through the first season, just after the events of Winter Soldier, and I’m enjoying the heck out of it. It probably helps that I didn’t start watching till it hit Netflix, so I knew what was coming with HYDRA, but I still enjoyed the monster of the week format of the early episodes. I’m looking forward to where they take the show from here. Thankfully I don’t have to wait too long for it, since it’s coming to netflix this month!

Kung Fury
It’s what the 80s thinks of itself decades after it’s glory. And it is glorious, ridiculous, over the top amazing! There’s talk about making a full feature length movie out of it, but… at about half an hour, it’s perfect as it is. Sometimes less is more. Let’s be happy with what we’ve got, and not (inevitably) disappointed by trying to make it bigger.

Batman vs. Superman

I’m just not excited by this one… I can see where it’s coming from, where it’s going, and… It isn’t going to give me anything that I haven’t already seen done better in comics.

The Tale of Tales
I cannot wait to see this!!


Daredevil
I got to this as soon as I got off the trail, and it was just about perfect. The funny thing is that the thing I like about the Marvel Cinematic Universe is that it isn’t stuck in that dark and gritty rut that DC’s in, yet Daredevil is probably the darkest grittiest part of the MCU.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.