- Race (Elf, Dwarf, Halfling) as a class? Generally yes, though I’m also a fan of race specific classes like ACK does it.
- Do demi-humans have souls? I’m inclined to say no, at least not like humans do. That doesn’t mean that can’t be brought back to life, just that the ways humans do it won’t work on demihumans.
- Ascending or descending armor class? I prefer ascending.
- Demi-human level limits? It’s so rarely an issue... We’ll see.
- Should thieves be a class? Sure.
- Do characters get non-weapon skills? Eh. It was a really big part of 3rd edition but it seems mostly unnecessary. I like the idea of characters taking a background like sailor or farmer or scribe. From there it’s easy to work out the sorts of things people can do.
- Are magic-users more powerful than fighters (and, if yes, what level do they take the lead)? If they survive? Sure.
- Do you use alignment languages? No.
- XP for gold, or XP for objectives (thieves disarming traps, etc…)? I don’t see this as a binary. I’ll happily provide XP for gold, quest objectives, role playing, etc.
- Which is the best edition; ODD, Holmes, Moldvay, Mentzer, Rules Cyclopedia, 1E ADD, 2E ADD, 3E ADD, 4E ADD, Next? I am forever a Rules Cyclopedia fanboy. I am very curious about what Next will bring...
- Bonus Question: Unified XP level tables or individual XP level tables for each class? Yes, though I think the ones in the RC could use some slight tweaking.
Saturday, July 27, 2013
10 Troll Questions (+1)
Because participating in a meme is easier than coming up with an original blog post, I present my answers to Random Wizard's Ten Troll Questions