Monday, July 13, 2015

#6MMRPC Week 6: Dropping the Base

So I thought I'd already written about this here, but apparently I only shared over on FB.

And no, I didn't actually drop the base. That would have sucked... What actually happened wasn't a walk in the park either, unfortunately. Let's start where we left off, ready to use the water effects...


So I taped up the base, and poured the water effects in...


Then I noticed something had gone wrong...


Very wrong...


The tape either didn't stand up to the moisture, or I hadn't pressed it down well enough. Honestly, not sure... After waiting a couple of days for it to dry completely, I removed the tape, checked everything over, and came up with a new plan.


Hot glue the sucker to a piece of glass, and use the glue to keep in the water effects.


Best idea ever...


Maybe...


Added the rest of the water effects...


Then some coloring... and here I noticed that I didn't make a perfect seal.


But aside from that little bit, nothing else leaks. Now if only it was deeper. I really wanted it to have covered Ebonwrath's feet more... so I think I'm going to get some Envirotex Lite as recommended over on Hirst Arts, and see how that works.

So close to being done...

3 comments:

  1. Could you use a spindle container that cd's come in, flip that over (close fitting container of correct CD size), and pour while in there? EDIT: just realized the head and/or tail may overhang. Tricky beast this one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the problem... If I didn't want Ebonwrath actually *in* the water, this would have been so much easier!!

      Delete
  2. Hrm... Have you tried building up a wall of some sort of blu-tak putty about the base to try to seal it? Or would the water effects stuff still break through?

    Showing my complete lack of knowledge here....

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.