Thursday, January 2, 2014

Nova Class Starship

There are a lot of really great spaceship designs out there, and being the Trekkie that I am, the Enterprise is always going to have a special place in my heart, and since I came to Trek with The Next Generation, it's the D that is the one I think of first.


I mean, really, look at that! The flagship of the Federation! Big, beautiful, powerful, with sleek lines and cool colors.

Yet... it's intimidating. That's the ship of Captain Picard!

If I ever get the chance to play in a Star Trek RPG, I don't want to serve on a Galaxy Class Starship like the Enterprise. It's too much. It'd be like starting a D&D game with a +5 Holy Avenger.

I want something a little less overwhelming, and Rick Sternback provided just the ship in Star Trek Voyager. Not the Intrepid Class Voyager herself, but the Equinox. A Nova Class science/scout ship.



It only has a crew of about 80, is designed to hit warp 8, and is equipped with a wide variety of sensors and a special shuttle docked on the ventral side of the primary hull that is designed for atmosphere operations.


It's also the only non-Enterprise model I've bought. There's just something charming about it.

7 comments:

  1. What's the crew of 80 breakdown like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15 officers, 65 enlisted.
      Since the Nova is a science vessel it probably breaks down something like this:
      Engineering - 3 Engineers, 7 techs
      Medical - 2 docs, 3 RNs, Counselor
      Tactical/Security - 2 officers, 5-8 security
      Command - Capt. XO, Ops x3, helmx3
      Science - Everyone else

      Delete
  2. Someone has also created sone great deck plans for the Nova as well (http://usseclipse.shivtr.com/forum_threads/693240)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm not. I discovered these a while back when I was researching ships that I might want to use for the PCs in an Star Trek game I was thinking about running. I'm just keeping these deckplans close by in my bookmarks for when I can get that campaign off the ground.

      Delete
  3. That is a cool looking ship. I've never seen or heard of it before, but of course, I'm not a giant Trekkie, so . . .

    But I do remember Christopher Pike and the advent of James T. Kirk . . . I was there! ;)

    No, I'm not using a cane . . . yet, but I am thinking about buying one. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only on 2 episodes of Voyager, but still my favorite federation ship (besides the Enterprise of course).

      Delete

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.