Friday, November 18, 2011

Thunderspire Session 3 Part 2

This session was played on 8/14.

Cory ran:
Dietrich the Human Knight (formerly the Dragonborn Paladin)
Ander the Halfling Rogue

Alex ran:
Barakas the Tiefling Warlord
Chan Lee the Human Monk

Following the Witch’s directions, the party first observed a Brass Minotaur statue, like the ones in the Hall. It stood on the walkway unmoving, and seemed to be singing a deep, nearly inaudible chant. More and more came into view as the party arrived at what appeared to be a huge nexus of the walkway. The walkway formed a giant ring, with numerous paths leading off into the dark. Standing on the walkway were more of the statues, and spaced around the ring were the floating bodies of the Mages of the Seven Pillared Hall. Each Mage had a shadow creature sucking the energy from them, and there was no sign of the dragon.

The adventurers stopped at the first mage and shadow and pondered the situation. As they dithered, the dragon, hiding in the darkness above, dropped in on the players. It first surrounded them in a field of darkness, and then swooped down and snapped at the adventurers. The Monk maneuvered out of the darkness, smacked the dragon backwards, then activated the Witch’s orb to force the dragon down into the shadowy waters. Like Kalarel’s portal, the inky waters seemed to reach for the dragon, and drew it down into it’s dark surface... all without splashes.

It all happened so quickly that I didn't even get to take a picture....

Turning their attention now to the shadows and the mages, the party attacked. As the shadows were distracted from their tasks, the Mages awoke, and while drained, they managed to help defeat the shadow creatures. The Mages thanked the party, and departed with a flash, leaving the players alone with the now silent brass minotaurs.

Brugg, knowing the jig is up, hightails it out of the Hall. However, he also knows that the adventurers will be returning, so he decides to have a bit of revenge before moving on. With the last of the hobgoblin’s, and a few Blackfang Gnolls, Brugg waited in one of the many antechambers to the Hall.

The party walked right into the ambush, and were immediately shot at by the numerous archers laying in wait. The warlord scorched a couple of hobgoblins that attempted to sneak up behind them, while Brugg squeezed out from behind a statue, releasing his pet hellhounds. The party ended up strung out, with Ander and Chan alternately hamstringing and close-lining the archers.

Dietrich and Barakas focused on Brugg, and took the brunt of his anger. With a furious series of blows the ogre repeatedly pounded Barakas, driving him down first to his knees, then to the ground in a bloody broken mess. When Dietrich tried to intervene Brugg spun on him with frightening agility, landing a perfect blow. Dietrich reeled, stumbled, but remained standing. Shaking off the stars that had exploded in his vision, he spied Ander making his way behind Brugg. Dietrich pressed his attack, and summoned all his power, while Ander did the same (d30 rolls) to finally bring Brugg down.

As the party reached the Hall, Rendil Halfmoon, the halfling they rescued runs up to them "I know where the gnolls are!" he cried out, ending the session.


  1. No, the Shadow Dragon should never have "died" that easily. I've read of a similar situation in another game.

    4e is not sounding very interesting to me.

    Sorry to have to say that.

  2. The dragon comes back - twice - so it's not like my players aren't going to have to deal with it for real.

    I wouldn't blame this on 4e. I put the dragon in a spot where the players could do it. Had they fallen into the water, it would have been much worse for them.