Saturday, December 7, 2013

Best DMing Book?

Ok, well my doing the 30 Days of Gamemastering Challenge rather slipped through the cracks. I was doing pretty good with the first 20, then… not so much.

So back to it!

Part III - META

Best DMing Book?

I know in the OSR the word of Gygax is held in high regard, and while there are a lot of gems to be found in the original AD&D Dungeon Master’s guide, it’s only recently that I’ve come to read it. And it is good, don’t misunderstand, it’s just that it isn’t my “go to” book.

On the other hand, I honestly don’t have a go to book.

The sum of game mastering knowledge is not contained in books at this point. While I have a decent RPG library, and I’ve read way more than I own, but between the blogs I follow and the DMs on Google+, I have an embarrassing abundance of experience and examples from which to draw.

I’m not saying ‘skip the DMs guides’ or anything like that, but definitely don’t be limited to just one, or even just to books. Chances are good that whatever you’re struggling with isn’t new, and someone else has not only experienced it, but also has come up with ways to handle it. You just need to find that someone else.

Charles Akins over at Dyvers has compiled a comprehensive list of OSR blogs. It's a good place to start, but again, don't limit yourself. There might be a 4e or Pathfinder DM who has the answer you're looking for. Or you might find it from someone who plays Star Wars, or Ghostbusters, or Vampire, or Fate, or Fudge, or... who knows? And if you've come up with something, don't be afraid to share. Not all the answers have been found, and someone maybe looking for the answer you have.

1 comment:

  1. 2E's Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide was probably the most influential for me. It had loads of advice on all sorts of GM-related topics. It was my first exposure to player types.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.