Saturday, May 12, 2012

Werewolf & Worm Part 2

Since it has been over a year since I last painted a mini, I decided that of the 3 packs I picked up, I would hold off on the kobolds, and work on the bigger minis, just to get back in the swing of things.

Once the minis were all glued to their bases I started blocking in the colors. For the worm, I just painted the whole thing a very dark blue. I had to put it on fairly thick for it to really cover. The relatively large and untextured body of the worm seemed to cause the paint to bead up. While I waited for that to dry, I base coated the entire werewolf dark brown. I didn’t have the beading issue with the werewolf to nearly the same extent, there were just a couple of small spots that seemed to resist the paint.

If you look closely, you can see the mold line running down the center of it's underside

By this point the blue was done, and I painted a lich purple on the worm, and made the mouth a pinkish color. I also decided that the ridges along the sides needed to be given a little attention, so I painted them grey. I then went back over the body with a mix of lich and warlock purple. The mouth got a wash of delvian mud, and then of red gore, before picking the teeth out with bone. The dirt and rocks on the base were painted with browns and grey.



Getting back to the werewolf, I drybrushed lighter shades of brown on to the sculpted fur, painted the teeth and claws bone, the tongue and eyes red, and then did a little bit of blacklining to show off some of the sculpted details on the smoother areas.


I’m planning on priming half of the kobolds, just to see if it makes a difference. It would be better if I had a second purple worm to try it out on, but I’m just going to stick with the kobolds for now. I don’t really need any more minis. And by “don’t need” I mean I have enough minis to paint for years before I’d need to buy another, of just about every genre!


Thank you Virginia for the photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment