Thursday, December 13, 2018

This is the end...

These notebooks contains the notes from just about every session of Stonehell that I’ve run (on the left) and the Storm King’s Thunder game (on the right).


They’re full. It’s a strange milestone to have reached, especially as Stonehell is still going, with our 84th session scheduled for this weekend, and SKT have a couple of sessions left.

I’ve actually been fortunate lately to have been in several long lasting games. Starting with my Weird New World 5e game, Stonehell, My Brooklyn 5e game, and Storm King’s Thunder, The last several years have been exceptional for gaming and story creation. Except for Stonehell, which is still ongoing, the other campaigns have all come to a natural conclusion (or in the case of Storm King’s Thunder is in the process of wrapping up).

Honestly, I’m blown away thinking about it. In all my years of playing and running D&D, I’ve never seen campaigns run like this. From the time I started playing until relatively recently, games start, everyone is excited, and then.. They just kinda peter out and people get excited about the next game they want to play. Games that run for a couple of weeks, or at best a few months, before switching to something else were the norm. From my school days to the flailsnail days…

The unexpected fortune I’ve had lately to have found gamers that have collaborated with me to spend months (and even years) forging the stories of Thorin the Famous, Eiric, Nessendra, and so many more. I’ve had players willing to travel extraordinary distances to get in game time!

But it’s a bittersweet thing. Endings always are. Here’s hoping that as Storm King’s Thunder ends, we finish it with a bang!


*The Castles and Crusades game would probably be on this list except that I ended up dropping out of it because trying to play on Sunday nights just wasn’t working out. But even that one I played in for about 2 years!

5 comments:

  1. That really is a marvelous feat! I haven't been able to keep a campaign going that long since I was in my 20's. It's fun reading your updates, especially for Stonehell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad you're enjoying it! Sometimes feels like I'm keeping this just for me.

      Delete
  2. I don't comment much, but have you on my RSS feed and read it regularly :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.