Tuesday, February 3, 2015

#6MMRPC Barnabus and KotDT

While I started Barnabus Frost in hopes of finishing in time to get in in on Caffineforge’s monday miniature post, he proved a more detailed mini than I first anticipated. Plus finding the right color for his jacket proved elusive. Originally I was going with a blue jacket and purple trim, but it didn't work, so I switched it to the light blue.





I still need to work on figuring out my light box...

And I never got started on Kord for today’s post. *shrug* I do have next week’s Vaeloth already painted up, and the Battleguard Golem should be doable in a single speed painting sitting. The next one after that is the large earth elemental. I don’t own that one, but if my FLGS gets a restock I might grab it… so long as it shows up before Bones II ships. Otherwise it’s straight onto the Grandmother.

I did finish up my Knights of the Dinner Table minis. I’m really pleased with how they came out, even though they ended up being more work than I expected from such simple little minis. I want to take a moment to point out this post from My Blog Is Fight! which shows both sets of the KotDT minis fully painted. While I didn't use his color scheme, I did use his pictures to help show me how to paint them, in the “how the hell do I paint something this tiny to make it look good??” sort of way. Though I totally stole how he did the bases.


Not the finished minis, as I couldn't get a halfway decent pic of them using the light box. Maybe next week.

I've also added some color to a bunch of minis, mostly out of a desire to not waste any paint. Sometimes I only need a teeny-tiny bit of paint, but end up with a full drop. So… grab a mini and slather the color on!


My plan for this next week is to work on the Battleguard Golem, and switch back to working on the Dork Tower minis.

8 comments:

  1. Ha. I was just having the same sort of miniature painting creep as you last night. A puddle of paint you don't want to waste, and suddenly there are a heap more miniatures on the painting tray.

    I'm intrigued by the caffeineforge thing. Looks like a great incentive to get bones painted. Is the next one announced on a monday, or is there a way to know what's coming next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you check out the post, he shares the schedule of upcoming minis. From the latest post:
      2/8/15 – Vaeloth

      2/15/15 – Battleguard Golem

      2/22/15 – Large Earth Elemental – This one wasn’t a part of the vampire back, but it is a great mini with plenty of detail for the experienced model, and plenty of simple techniques could make it great as a beginner. If you don’t have it, it’s only 7 dollars – you should pick it up.

      3/1/15 – Grandmother

      3/8/15 – Ghoul Queen

      3/15/15 – Teirdeleria

      3/22/15 – Aina

      3/29/15 – Spirit of the Forest

      4/5/15 – Ezren

      4/12/15 – Almaran

      4/19/15 – Zalash

      4/26/15 – Red Dragon – Week 1 – this is a big model, so this week are just looking for a WIP.

      5/3/15 – Red Dragon – Week 2 – Nows your chance to really show off. You’ve had 2 weeks and a gorgeous sculpt – blow me away.

      Delete
    2. Where do you submit your pics to?

      Delete
  2. I may have asked you before. Do you prime your bones, or paint straight on the white?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't prime my bones minis. Generally. For armor covered minis, I find that giving it a black base coat works best for making the metal look good. Same for sword blades and such. Beyond that? Pretty much just slap the base colors on, and go from there.

      Delete
  3. Look at that - you tempted another painter to join us. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at that - you tempted another painter to join us. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.