Friday, January 29, 2010

And hope they don't have blasters

The news is that WotC wont renew their Star Wars license, which means no new Star Wars RPG or mini products, for a little while at least.  

I can't say this bothers me at all.  I never picked up or played the saga edition.  From what I read of it the Saga system sounded like a solid system, but after having played d20 Star Wars, I just couldn't muster any enthusiasm for it.  I think I experienced that dissatisfaction of d20 more keenly with Star Wars then I did with D&D, and it wasn't even because of all the splat books.  It was more that it felt like you had to try too hard with d20 Star Wars.  The simple elegance of West End Games' d6 Star Wars captures for me the feel of the original trilogy, which is what Star Wars is supposed to be about.  If I want a sci-fi game that does something else I have numerous options, from Traveler to Star Trek (2 versions) to Alternity to X-plorers sitting on my bookshelf. 

Speaking of WEG SWRPG, I've been rereading a bunch of the old books.  I picked up Galaxy Guide 4 Alien Races over christmas at a used book store, and that got me back into all the other books I've got.  Then a friend called, and she found at her FLGS some old d6 books, and would I be interested?  Of course I said yes!  They haven't arrived yet, but I'm really looking forward to getting them and adding them to my collection. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved WEG. I even loved Ars Magica pre Atlas. Give me pips over D20s anyday! That being said the Saga edition was basically a pretty fun roleplaying MMORPG.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.