Thursday, November 5, 2020

Murkillor, Wraith King of the Dark Moors

 Last year at Reapercon, one of the swag items was a new resin sculpt of Murkillor the Wraith King. 


A Bones version will be coming along, but for now, I had this guy... and wanted to do him justice. But before I jumped in on this fancy mini, I wanted to test out my paint scheme, and what better way to do that than on Murkilor the Wraith King!

This is one of four of the older sculpts of Murkillor that Reaper has done, and the biggest of them all, until the new version above. But he's the closest to the new sculpt that I figured he'd do as a test subject. 


Side by side comparison... where I realized that the old one was a lefty! You don't get too many left handed minis. But I also... kinda hated the old sword. Well, I can fix that...


Digging through my bits box I found this sword from the Bones 3 armory set. A quick cut and pin with a bit of floral wire and it was good to go. I then primed him black and got painting.

The effect I was going for was to make the robes look ghostly, while making the armor look more substantial. I began with Heather Blue, and built it up with Ghostly Moss.

I used Pure White to continue the highlights, until I was spot highlighting with just Pure White.

For the armor and crown, I started with Stynylrez metal primer, and then used Dragon Bronze

For the final highlights on the armor I mixed in a tiny bit of Mithral Silver with the Dragon Bronze.

I did realize, while working on the armor, that I needed to deepen my shadows, so I used Nightmare Black, a nice blue-black color, to do that.


I filled in the base with a sand gravel mix, and painted it with Redstone, giving it a black wash, then highlighting with a tan (not shown here)


While not as smooth and buttery as could be done with an airbrush, or a little more effort on my part, I'm very happy with this guy... so much so that I went and ordered the Bones Wraiths in translucent plastic to go with him... but that's another post. 

Having pulled off the ghostly look, I was ready to move on to the big guy... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.