Monday, September 9, 2019

ReaperCon Classes

As a follow up on my ReaperCon Report, here's a review of the 3 classes I took at ReaperCon. I thought all 3 were fantastic, even though all 3 were very different from one another.

Reaper U: Beginner Freehand (Cocanour) - Of all my classes, this was probably the most helpful for me. I've attempted freehand before, semi-successfully, but getting a hands on practice, with instruction, and getting to see not only my own efforts, but my fellow classmates really helped to gel the ideas. I could see what I was doing wrong, what they were doing wrong, and the instructor showed us how to correct it. One thing I'd have wanted from the class was help in figuring out WHAT to paint, but the HOW to paint it is super helpful by itself.

The instructor's example


My work in progress


Reaper U: Painting Expressive Faces and Eyes (Schubert) - I've taken this class before, and I think it's changed a little since I did, but much of it was very familiar. Why did I take a demonstration class again? Not for the handout, which is great by itself, but because getting to see Derek work his magic, getting to hover over his shoulder and see him apply the paint, watch as he tests the color and see him make the choices he makes... worth it.

Reaper U: Introduction to Painting Translucent Miniatures (Sundeth) - I wasn't signed up for this class, but a fellow classmate from my previous class handed me his ticket since he was off to dinner. The fool. There aren't a whole lot of people working with painting translucents in interesting ways. It's hard, really a radically different mindset than painting regular minis. Doug showed us a bunch of different tools and techniques, and then let us go wild experimenting on our figures. My results were... interesting, but I'm now much more likely to try to do something with my translucent minis. There's something to be said for bring given permission to just... try things. I hope that this class continues to evolve as more people develop new techniques and styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.