Saturday, December 15, 2012

Review: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Last night I went and saw The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.


It was good, really really good! I was a little worried when I heard the they were making it into 3 movies, especially after how bloated King Kong was. Then, after people started seeing it, there was talk about it being overly long and boring, to the point where The Onion wrote a story about the 53 minute long scene of Bilbo packing.

I didn't notice it being overly long, slow, or boring. It isn't the fast paced adventure/fairy tale story of the book. Rather, it's very much in line with the Lord of the Rings trilogy, both in the scenes Peter Jackson decided to add, and the things he glossed over. I was really pleased, and honestly would have been thrilled to see more. Getting to see a dwarven city, I mean I thought Ironforge from World of Warcraft was pretty impressive when I first saw it, and it's nothing as compared to Erebor!

Another thing I wanted more of was the Dale. The few seconds we really get to see it hint tantalizingly at the sort of place it is, and I know there was so much there on the screen that I didn't get to see or focus on that I can't wait to see it again, and to have it on DVD, and to watch all the extra features...

We saw the 2D, 24fps version. It was pretty clear on a few scenes that it was not a movie designed for 2D, and I'm looking forward to the 3D 48fps version that we'll be seeing tomorrow.I'll let you know my impressions on Monday.

Overall I would give the Hobbit 8.5/10. If you liked the Lord of the Rings movies, then you'll like The Hobbit. If you loved extended versions, and watched all the extra features, you'll love The Hobbit.

2 comments:

  1. I just got back from seeing it and I agree with you 100%! I thought it was great fun and it didn't seem long at all. In fact, I was sad to see it end, they could've easly continued the story and I wouldn't leave my seat. A great fantasy film, quite a bit lighter than LOTR but capturing the fun adventure of Tolkien's The Hobbit nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.