One of the less than fun things about painting these guys is the fact that their cream-ish colored jumpsuits are right next to black equipment. Which means touch ups and highlighting on black are stressful!
So one of the interim steps I took while working on them was to give the mini a coat of sealer, and to keep an extra clean brush at hand, so that if (when) I slip, I can use the clean wet brush to just wash off the black before it has a chance to set. It's a trick I learned over on the Reaper forum hangouts, and in situations like this, it's a life saver!
Once I took care of that, it was back to working on the equipment. I added just a touch of Dragon Blue to the black I've been using, and wet brushed it onto the edges of the equipment. Because the surfaces are so angular and without much texture, dry brushing (my usual go to) wasn't going to work.
After getting the black and highlights done, it was just down to detail work. Bits of green and red were added to the backpack and the device on their hips. Hose fittings and belt buckles were painted Shadowed Steel.
With that done, it just leaves the base... So close to done... And I'm not sure I actually have sand fine enough to mimic asphalt...