Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Ghostbusters

They're making a new Ghostbusters? Awesome!!

It's a reboot? Oh...

With an all female team? Oh boy...


The internet didn't take kindly to this announcement. And by "the internet" I mean the menboys with access to a keyboard and the know-how to use the Caps Lock button.

I love the original Ghostbusters. It's one of my favorite movies from my childhood, and it remains one of those movies I can watch over and over again. I've listened to the commentaries, watched the extra features, and went to see it in the theater at one of those special anniversary screenings... seriously, I love it.

Now, the backlash was so strong, and so focused on the fact that it was being done with an all female cast that I was half tempted to go see it for that reason alone. But before I got the chance to see it, since I was busy opening weekend, some of my friends did, and they liked it. Not a perfect movie, but definitely worth seeing.

So Friday night, instead of playing D&D, I went with Julia (one of my players who had already seen it) to go see a late screening. And they were right, it was good! I tried, and failed, to not spend the whole movie comparing it to the original, but it was inevitable that I did. And while it could never match what the first movie is to me, it managed to do something rather shocking. It held up on its own. It was solid. The characters had individual motivations and skills (except Kevin the eye candy). It was impressive. It was also funny, but with that cast, I'm not surprised.

The original cast cameos felt well done, as were the nods to the previous 2 movies. And yes, while it did hit some/many of the same beats as the original, it was a new story with a new villain, and one that seemed very appropriate in light of the flack that the movie took for even being made.

I hope that it does well enough in the box office to warrant a sequel.

3 comments:

  1. I saw the movie too and thought it was great. It was not deserving at all of all the hate that it got on the web. It is a really good movie that holds up on its own. Personally, I would give it 4 Stars out of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed it. I kind of think the movie was better when it was doing it's own thing and not referencing the original. I'm glad I watched it and will definitely watch the (inevitable) sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife and I saw it on Sunday. Fun movie, the acting and effects were top notch, the writing and plot were just above average though but still well worth seeing. I would happily watch it again.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.